An end-of-summer classic (or any time of year for that matter), zucchini fritters are a great way to use up those garden squash. This time, though, we do things a little differently—add in some herbaceous basil pesto and sun-dried tomatoes. Get a load of these Mediterranean mavericks!
- SERVES: 6-8
- LEVEL: Easy Weeknight
- 4 cups grated zucchini (about 2 large zucchini), thoroughly dried
- 1/2 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, drained and diced
- 2 teaspoons Basil Pesto
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To get zucchini as dry as possible, place grated zucchini in a strainer over the sink. Gently toss with about 1 teaspoon of salt. Allow to set for about 10 minutes. Use cheesecloth or a thin dishtowel to squeeze out remaining water.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Ready a large baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine zucchini, tomatoes, pesto, egg, flour, Parmesan and black pepper.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high setting. Working in batches, pan-fry fritters by dropping heaping spoonfuls of zucchini mixture into the hot oil. Flatten fritters with spatula, if desired. Cook until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer fritters to the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.