Tomato pesto gives this meatless, cheesy pasta bake an extra tomato kick. Great for serving a crowd, or bank the leftovers for another night for the family.
- Serves : 10
- Dish Type : Main
- Skill Level : Intermediate
- Ready In : 40 Minutes
- Topic : Family & Kids
- Meal : Dinner
- Season : Fall , Spring , Summer , Winter
- Cuisine : Italian
- Main Ingredient : Pasta
- 1 pkg (454 g) PC Splendido Penne Rigate
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans (each 796 mL) San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 jar (270 mL) PC Splendido Tomato Pesto
- 1 ball (340 g) PC Mozzarella Cheese , shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease 13 X 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish.
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 5 minutes; drain. Pasta will not be tender.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat; cook onion for 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and their juices. Using potato masher, crush them in the saucepan. Stir in pesto. Increase heat to medium; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until flavors have melded and sauce is hot.
- In large bowl, toss pasta in hot sauce. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.